American Urban Radio Networks

American radio network, founded 1991
(Learn how and when to remove this message)

American Urban Radio Networks
Launch date1991 (1991)[1]
ReplacedMutual Black Network
National Black Network

American Urban Radio Networks (AURN) is the only African-American-owned-and-operated Nielsen RADAR-rated radio network in the United States.[2]

It was formed in 1991 from a merger of the Sheridan Broadcasting Network and National Black Network.

Privately held for the last three years[when?] with new ownership,[citation needed] AURN reaches an estimated 40 million listeners weekly on over 6,000 affiliates and provides the advertising community with multiple networks and marketing, gaming, and digital capabilities.[3]

AURN is the only African-American broadcasting company with a desk in the White House and has offices in New York City, Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles.[4]


American Urban Radio Networks was formed in 1991 from a merger of the Sheridan Broadcasting Network (SBN) and National Black Network (NBN). SBN was previously known as the Mutual Black Network (MBN) when it was founded by the Mutual Broadcasting System in 1972 as the first national full-service radio network aimed at African Americans. African-American media company Sheridan Broadcasting Corporation purchased 49% of MBN in 1976, followed by the remaining 51% in 1979, renaming it SBN.

Sheridan Broadcasting Corporation owned 51% of AURN, until it was forced to give up its share in 2016, following a lawsuit launched by junior partner NBN.[5] Sheridan Broadcasting later went out of business.


AURN Inspirational is a 24/7 Gospel music network featuring The Hezekiah Walker Gospel Countdown and The Bobby Jones Radio Show. AURN handles affiliations, sales, and marketing for national morning programs Yung Joc & The Streetz Morning Takeover and Ebro in The Morning with Laura Stylez and Peter Rosenberg, as well as Nessa on Air, Quiet Storm with Lenny Green, The Marvin Sapp Radio Show, The Bassment with E-Rock, The Come Up with Tye Tribbett, Most Requested Live with Romeo, Invisible Eagles Podcast, Radio Health Journal, Viewpoints Radio, The Sic 60, and Cafe Mocha Radio.


  1. ^ Washington, James (December 9, 2017). "Did You Know the Sheridan Broadcasting Corporation Was the First Black Owned Radio Network?".
  2. ^ "American Urban Radio Networks and Nielsen Sign Agreement for Network Audio Measurement". Retrieved June 30, 2022.
  3. ^ "About AURN". AURN. Retrieved June 30, 2022.
  4. ^ "White House Press Room Seating Chart 2022". Retrieved June 30, 2022.
  5. ^ Wiggan, Jamie (June 23, 2022). "Former Sheridan Broadcasting employees still seeking $240k from court judgment". Pittsburgh City Paper.

External links

  • v
  • t
  • e
  • ABC Audio
  • Compass
  • Premiere
  • Salem
  • United Stations
  • Westwood One
  • Uforia Audio Network
    • Spanish
Public radio
Defunct or
Radio portal
  • v
  • t
  • e

Stub icon

This United States media company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

  • v
  • t
  • e